Effects of Exercise on various Systems of Human Body in residence of Peshawar Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan

  • Asna Tahir Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar
  • Ahrar Sikander Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar
  • Sabawoon Hayat Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar
  • Saud Azhar Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar
  • Kashif Ur Rehman Khalil Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar
  • Saad Zahoor Department of Community Medicine KMC, Peshawar

Abstract

Background: Non Communicable diseases like hypertension, diabetes and heart diseases are on rise due to sedentary lifestyle. Exercise is the most import factor that can improve outcome of major communicable diseases.Objective: To evaluate the beneficial effects of exercise on human body as perceived by individuals.Material and Methods: Study was conducted from 1st September 2019 to 28 February 2020 in community of Peshawar KP. A sample size of 300 individuals were selected using non probability convenient sampling technique. Data was collected on a structured questionnaire which was prevalidated through pilot study. Results: Mean age of study participants were 33 ± 5 S.D. Majority of the study participants were male (73%) and remaining were females (27%). 33% reported that they exercise every day,18% once in a week.27% 3 times a week and 22% of study participants reported that they do exercise occasionally.Participants were asked about effect of exercise on blood pressure and other parameters. Those who were hypertensive reported an improvement in blood pressure after starting regular exercise. The study subjects were asked about the effect of exercise on GIT function. Majority reported improvement in gastrointestinal function. Reduction in weight and improvement in other systems were also reported as shown significance with a P-value less than 0.05.Conclusions: Our study concluded that those individuals who started regular exercise have reported significant improvement in their different body functions. Therefore there is significant importance of exercising regularly in maintaining a sound mind and a sound body.Key words: Exercise, BMI, Hypertension, Diabetes
Published
2022-06-14
How to Cite
1.
Asna Tahir, Ahrar Sikander, Sabawoon Hayat, Saud Azhar, Kashif Ur Rehman Khalil, Saad Zahoor. Effects of Exercise on various Systems of Human Body in residence of Peshawar Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. J Saidu Med Coll Swat [Internet]. 2022Jun.14 [cited 2022Sep.28];12(2):66-0. Available from: http://jsmc.pk/index.php/jsmc/article/view/633